Big Bang, Baby!
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Challenge Rules, Requirements and Guidelines (1 viewing) (1) Guests
Rules, Deadlines, Odds and Ends...
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Challenge Rules, Requirements and Guidelines
Shaggy (Admin)
Head of House
255 User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Challenge Rules, Requirements and Guidelines 11 Years, 8 Months ago House Points: 13  
Rules, Etc...

• Writers may frame their stories within one of two approved tracks for this challenge:

Classic Clichés Track: Revisit our OTPs classic clichés, including but not limited to:

Ferret!Draco; Veela!Draco; LeatherPants!Draco; Fake Boyfriends; Abused!Harry; Abused!Draco; Voldemort-Orders-Draco-To-Kill-Harry-But-Draco-Can--, wait, didn't I read a canon like this once!?; Seamus-Shags-Everyone -- Especially-Harry-and/or-Draco -- And Harry-and/or-Draco Is Jealous; Love Potions; Sex Magic; Astronomy Tower Shenanigans; Quidditch Fights As Foreplay; Telepathy; Bondage; Soul-Bonding; Forced Detentions; Anonymous-Letter-Writing-Leads-to-Undeniable-Attraction -- But-Who-Could-This-Sensitive-Soul-Who-Is-Your-Age-And-In-The-House-You-Hate-Who-Sounds-
    Exactly-Like-Draco-Malfoy-and/or-Harry Potter-Be?; Potions Mishaps; Draco-and/or-Harry-Is-Blind-and/or-Injured-and/or-Horribly-Disfigured-and-Harry-and/or-
    Draco-Has-To-Take-Care-Of-Him; Dumbledore Sets Them Up; Lucius Sets Them Up; Hermione and Pansy Set Them Up; Draco-Is-A-Goth-And-Eats-Babies; TENTACLES!; VAMPIRES!; WEREWOLVES!; Harry-and-Draco-Must-Have-Sex-To-Save-The-World!; Hallway Collisions Gone Horribly Wrong (and by wrong we mean oh-so-right); Slytherin!Harry; Gryffindor!Draco;
    Wild Slytherin Parties Have Unforeseen Consequences; Draco-Sends-Harry-a-Little-Silver-Dragon -- and-May-Or-May-Not-Also-Seek-His-Help-In-Diagnosing-His-Empathic-Pet-Snake's-Sudden-Illness; Draco-and/or-Harry-Is-A-RENTBOY; Hogwarts-Chatrooms-Are-Open-All-Night -- But-Who-Could-This-Sensitive-Soul-Who-Wields-The-Mysterious-Handle-"PUREBL00DZr0xrZ-and/or-
    "N0TURCH0ZN1"-Be?;

et cetera. Go crazy! Have fun.

Time Turner Track: Hogwarts-era stories in which significant portions of canon are reworked and explored in new ways. Entries will inevitably have AU elements, but should remain true to JKR's universe in terms of framing your story: retaining the spirit of canon and integrating new ideas into pre-existing plot and character dynamics. An example of such a fic might include finding a new use for Draco's time spent in the Room of Requirement, or exploring what would have happened if Harry had managed to learn Occlumency in time to save Sirius, thereby keeping Lucius out of prison. There is an extremely broad scope of possibility for what aspects of canon you can revisit and rework, but above all, be faithful to the canon that has come before the point at which your story diverges, in order to give your writing plausibility and strengthen your storytelling; we do not so much wish for a retelling of existing canon so much as a creative branching-off from it. A fic in which Draco is found Obliviated in the woods at the World Cup instead of Winky would qualify, while a fic in which Hogwarts is located on the far side of the moon would not.

* The Mods may at their discretion grant prior approval of story ideas which fall outside of the two official tracks. 1/19/08 ETA: Additional exceptions will not be granted after today's date.

• Fics must be Hogwarts-centric, but may be set at any point Year 1 through Year 7. 7th Year may include Deathly Hallows AU's or post-DH return-to-school cliche fics.

• A minimum length of 50,000 words is required. No exceptions.

• As always, characterization that rings true is our deepest desire (though certain leeway is obviously required for Leather Pants!Draco and other inhabitants of the Classic Clichés track). For this challenge, the fun is in the journey: the overcoming of closely-held animosity and misunderstanding with difficulty, and over time. Stories in which one or the other of the boys is revealed to nurture a desperate crush on the other from the get-go will naturally disappoint.

• Rough drafts are due by April 15, 2008; final beta'd versions by May 31st. All qualifying entries will be illustrated by some of the fandom's most talented artists, with fic and art to be archived on June 5th, on a site to be designed. We ask that you do not post your work in any form elsewhere on the net prior to the unveiling.

• Participants should join the Challenge Forums to keep track of updates and participate in challenge discussion. Questions may be directed to Aja, Reena and Shaggy via email at This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
Enter code here   
Please note, although no boardcode and smiley buttons are shown, they are still useable

Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2008/01/20 05:12 By Shaggy.
  Reply Quote
Fiona Fawkes (User)
Ickle Firstie
4 User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Challenge Rules, Requirements and Guidelines 11 Years, 7 Months ago House Points: 9  
I'm just trying to wrap my head around the requirements. Is there any sort of topic approval that potential participants would need to go through, or do we just get started? Do we have to meet deadlines along the way, or is it pretty much finish a rough draft of over 50k words by the April deadline. Are all fics that meet the track, word count and deadline requirements accepted, or do the moderators select from among them and only post the best.

Just thinking out loud while I consider participating.
Enter code here   
Please note, although no boardcode and smiley buttons are shown, they are still useable

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
usullusa (User)
Second Year
18 User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Challenge Rules, Requirements and Guidelines 11 Years, 7 Months ago House Points: 15  
Oh, I don't feel so bad about posting on this thread now that somebody else already has. >> Thanks Fiona!

Anyway, so if you're a potential writer is there any kind of sign up necessary aside from generally being around knowing what is going on? Or do you just write and if it's done by the deadline and you decide you like it, you submit it?
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
Frayach (User)
Ickle Firstie
1 User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Challenge Rules, Requirements and Guidelines 11 Years, 7 Months ago House Points: 6  
I was wondering the very same thing.
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
bookshop (Admin)
Head of House
162 User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Challenge Rules, Requirements and Guidelines 11 Years, 7 Months ago House Points: 14  
Is there any sort of topic approval that potential participants would need to go through, or do we just get started?

If you have a topic you want to run by us for suggestions or something you're not sure about, go for it! Otherwise, we trust your judgment in coming up with something you think meets the challenge requirements.

If it's something you *know* is outside the 2 listed tracks (for instance, if I want to write standard post-book-7 fic, which I'm considering) then we'd want to know about it and approve it beforehand. but if you have a strong idea and know where you want to go with it, it shouldn't be an issue.

Do we have to meet deadlines along the way, or is it pretty much finish a rough draft of over 50k words by the April deadline?

Meeting a monthly deadline is not a requirement at all; however, in order to help you guys meet the monthly breakdown of 10,000 words a month between now and April, we're going to be offering special prizes to anyone who can show us every ten thousand words they complete per month.

Are all fics that meet the track, word count and deadline requirements accepted, or do the moderators select from among them and only post the best?

This has really never been an issue for us in the past. We want you guys to have the best resources possible in terms of having thorough betas and assistance with draft completion. We're going to try to encourage you guys at every step of the process this time around, so we can make sure that everyone turns in a fic they're proud of. And yeah, we expect to accept all comers.

The only time we wouldn't is if we feel a fic hasn't met the requirements in the tracks listed without prior approval from us - but it's going to be a long five months and you guys can consult with us at any time if you're not sure.

if you're a potential writer is there any kind of sign up necessary aside from generally being around knowing what is going on? Or do you just write and if it's done by the deadline and you decide you like it, you submit it?

That's it. Probably in the next week or so, we'll post a Sign-up thread so people can declare their intent to start the challenge. But it will be totally unofficial. You can opt in at any time before April 15th if you think you have a story you can expand to fit the challenge requirements.

Great questions, you guys. 5 house points apiece!
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
lunarennui (User)
Ickle Firstie
Re:Challenge Rules, Requirements and Guidelines 11 Years, 7 Months ago House Points: 4  
aja, i wrote my last two fics because you asked me to. i'll do it a third time, just for you.
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
bookshop (Admin)
Head of House
162 User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Challenge Rules, Requirements and Guidelines 11 Years, 7 Months ago House Points: 14  
I LOVE YOU TO PIECES.
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
Miggy (User)
Ickle Firstie
3 User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Challenge Rules, Requirements and Guidelines 11 Years, 7 Months ago House Points: 0  
Oh god what did you make me doooooooo?

*glares (affectionate) daggers*

Well, I did already have this idea running around for a B6-era fic...
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
who_la_hoop (User)
Ickle Firstie
5 User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Challenge Rules, Requirements and Guidelines 11 Years, 7 Months ago House Points: 0  
I'm so tempted by the classic cliches track... am I right that this can be as AU / canon-based as I like, as long as the characaters are IC? *wants to include ALL cliches in a fantastic fic-o-doom, but is trying to resist*
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
elsie (User)
Ickle Firstie
Hokay, are you going to post each story all on one page (I think this was done for one or both previous fests), or individual chapters on different pages? I just want to know how I should handle what would normally be chapter breaks if this were a print novel.
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
reenka (Admin)
Head of House
76 User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Generally, we've done it all in one page; if that changes we'll do the formatting ourselves.
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
yura_slash (User)
Ickle Firstie
8 User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Challenge Rules, Requirements and Guidelines 11 Years, 6 Months ago House Points: 3  
Do we need to submit our fics by email to This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it in order to show that we've made it to 10,000 words, 20,000 words, etc.? Or is there some other method of submitting?
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
reenka (Admin)
Head of House
Re:Challenge Rules, Requirements and Guidelines 11 Years, 6 Months ago House Points: 14  
You don't need to submit it at all; there's no need to prove anything until it's time to actually send us the finished fic, and by then the 'proof' is in the pudding, so to speak
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
elsie (User)
Ickle Firstie
Re:Challenge Rules, Requirements and Guidelines 11 Years, 6 Months ago House Points: 0  
Wait ... I am confused. I thought we were encouraged to "check in" at the word count mile-markers--10k, 20k, etc.
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
reenka (Admin)
Head of House
Re:Challenge Rules, Requirements and Guidelines 11 Years, 6 Months ago House Points: 14  
Haha, you're encouraged to check in, but not required to prove it's true
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
elsie (User)
Ickle Firstie
Re:Challenge Rules, Requirements and Guidelines 11 Years, 6 Months ago House Points: 0  
But ... in the section on dates and deadlines ...

"Word Count milestones are a way of helping our writers map your progress and set benchmarks for your writing. Everyone who makes a benchmark will receive a special Big Bang banner designed by one of our artists."

Wouldn't we have to do more than just say HEY I DONE IT GIMME PRESSIES?
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
reenka (Admin)
Head of House
Ok, well... you are encouraged to check in, and make benchmarks, but we assume people write at different speeds and not always linearly, either, and some may be finishing old unpublished projects or... something. Anyway, the banners are just for your encouragement and inspiration, so you can post 'em up on your lj if you want.

If you check in in March saying you've got 10,000 words and want a banner, that may be different, though, since clearly you'd be not on track.
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
tkp (User)
Ickle Firstie
Er, so, hi. New here. Just a question. No matter what track we do, it still has to be Hogwarts centric, right? It has to take place during school years? So we couldn't do cliche fic that takes place 5 years after DH, or something? I'm thinking about reworking some ideas I already started writing bits for to be in a fic for the challenge, but making it take place during Hogwarts years would take a lot of finagling. Just thought I'd double check that these are the rules.

Thanks, ever so.
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
reenka (Admin)
Head of House
Not only does it have to be Hogwarts-centric, it has to be in the spirit of the challenge (er... I mean, we want the characterizations believable/in-character even if the plot-line is silly).

We think there are already more than enough venues for post-Hogwarts fic, and not nearly enough people writing things set in the nostalgic Hogwarts setting. So while we would like to be open-minded about what constitutes the bounds within the 'spirit of the challenge' guideline, in the end if you yourself don't think it's in the spirit, it's probably not.
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
rachlet (User)
Second Year
15 User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Quick question: I know we've been on the topic of "checking in" already, so I apologize if this has already been answered.

If I want to check in my progress to let you know how far along I am, and how everything is coming along, do I just contact someone?

Would I just send an email saying, "Hello! I'm now at this and this many words?" Or is there a thread to post our progress on?

Thanks!
-Rachel
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
reenka (Admin)
Head of House
We never actually said anything about requiring the writers to check-in-- the 10,000 word banner relies on the honor system, mostly, and we don't need you to write at any certain speed just as long as you finish a draft by the deadline. So no emails required.

That said, I just made a thread here just in case people want to check in
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
arboretum (User)
Artist
8 User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Challenge Rules, Requirements and Guidelines 11 Years, 4 Months ago House Points: 0  
Hogwarts-Chatrooms-Are-Open-All-Night -- But-Who-Could-This-Sensitive-Soul-Who-Wields-The-Mysterious-Handle-"PUREBL00DZr0xrZ-and/or-
"N0TURCH0ZN1"-Be?;

can I just say I have never seen this cliche but I REALLY NEED TO. RIGHT NOW? please tell me someone is writing it. also, where might one find all the fics of this cliche that I have never seen?!
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  
  Reply Quote
reenka (Admin)
Head of House
Re:Challenge Rules, Requirements and Guidelines 11 Years, 4 Months ago House Points: 14  
Hehe this is actually one of my favorite fics evar-- Cyber Love & the sequel, which are classics (which is to say, from '02-'03), though there must be more
Enter code here   

Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2008/03/16 01:36 By reenka.
  Reply Quote
Go to top Post Reply